Home
 
Bisbee Mill Museum
Historical Society
Edwards Museum
Activities/Events
Around Chesterfield
Privacy Policy
Contact Us
 

Chesterfield Historical Society

The Chesterfield Historical Society was organized on December 27, 1950 with 28 charter members, to operate the Edwards Memorial Museum in the building at 3 North Road, given for this purpose by Edith Fobes by a deed accepted by the town of Chesterfield in February 1951. In December 1995 the Historical Society accepted and was deeded the former old shop building that included an old grist mill, woodworking shop and blacksmith shop by Bisbee Brothers- located at 66 East Street for the cost of $1.00. This museum is known as The Bisbee Mill Museum.

The building at 3 North Road is a 1 1/2 story frame building, constructed circa 1821 and formerly served as a stable and carriage house for the residence of Oliver Edwards, a former local merchant and a member of the State Legislature in the 1830's. It survived a fire in 1899 which destroyed the main house and for a short period was only used for storage purposes. In the early 1920's, it was restored and used as a summer home for several years prior to being given to the town.

The Historical Society, being a private non-profit Chapter 180 corporation, operates in this publicly owned building under a Memorandum of Understanding agreed to by the Historical Society and the Town of Chesterfield's Board of Selectmen.

The Edwards Memorial Museum has displays of many old and interesting artifacts including household tools and equipment, pictures, dresses, old furniture, and other items of like nature. It also has the "Victorian Room" which is furnished with old furniture including and old organ which still plays beautiful music.

BisbeeMillMuseum.org